ATeam Gaming Community
iamApropos

Pros & Cons of moving to Discord from Gamevox

iamApropos    206

We've recently started using Discord because it allowed others and I to connect using Mobile which for being off comms for a month because of health issues allowed me to stay connected to the community while I was recliner bound sick.
Since then we've had more people connect to Discord that have never connected to Gamevox because its so easy to connect to discord. A major bonus specifically for those with health issues including myself is that those of us who get laid out for days / weeks / months at a time can still connect and be with the community outside twitter.  This in itself helps raise the moral of not only those who are down sick but those who they can connect with too, bringing together the community closer than before with Gamevox.

The moves we've made in the past up until now have all been to remove ourselves from negative influences to separate ourselves as a community and stay united as positive influencers. The drama that was involved with those moves made it particularly stressful and having our own "home" finally was a well needed relief. We've been in gamevox for over a year now and will always have it as I was given a life time unlimited slot sponsorship with that server.  Some of you og members are familiar with the stresses of our previous moves and have that bad taste in your mouth and I understand that as well as the lack of "stability" of staying in one spot. No matter what we do or where we go Gamevox will always be there.   However my question is do the cons out weigh the pros when it comes to this move?  Because if there aren't major improvements to provide more functionality and connectivity uniting the community even more than staying in Gamevox there is no reason to even consider moving.  

Lets talk Pros:

Discord allows connectivity via Mobile, Web browser, Desktop App and Linux.

Connecting your broadcasting channel to your discord account showing that you're live and allowing anyone in the community to click your profile sending them straight to your channel.

Being able to give each individual AteamGC network broadcaster their own channel and specific permissions allowing them to control their channel as they see fit.

Bots and other programs available for the text chat.

GIF / MEME / Videos being able to be seen in text chat.

More people from our community whom have never connected to Gamevox have started showing up in discord and staying.

Discord allows for our disabled and sick community members to stay connected and still hangout with the community.

*As of right now I know there are other pros but for some reason I cant think of more. 

Cons:

Some community members, very few, have experienced technical issues with connectivity and audio.

Moving constantly makes the community look unreliable.

**I honestly cant come up with more cons then this

My personal thoughts on this are:

There are at least 3-4 times a year my health issues put me down and unable to connect to gamevox which also is determent to my ability to stay connected to the community.  The inability to stay connected causes my inner demons and lowered moral to take over.
Discord allows me to connect and text chat lively with everyone who are trying to hold the fort down in my absence.  This helps not only my moral but others as well.  I've also noticed that other disabled individuals in our community dont have the ability to have connections with people in real life so they rely on being able to be with the AteamGC online and when they are not able to it dramatically impacts their emotional state in turn causing recovery to be even more difficult.  Most people who dont suffer from limitations / depression / or social disorders may not understand the impact of not being able to be around friends but I can assure you that for those of us who do suffer from those things daily one of the only positive things that help us deal with and recover from those things is having the ability to be around all of you.
On top of this I've seen people in our community who would never connect to Gamevox now enjoying long conversations and bonding in discord.  So far in the last 7 days discord has brought more people together and given more functionality and connectivity to our community than gamevox ever offered.
The ability to have our community broadcasters connect their channels to discord and have it show and notify everyone when they are live gives all of us easier visibility within our community. Gamevox doesn't offer any of those functions.
Chat is more interactive in discord as it allows Meme's / GIF's / Videos that can be seen and are playable within text chat bringing more life into text conversations from those connected via which ever platform they are able to connect with.
We have community members who use Linux and discord has that covered as well so we wont be leaving any gamer behind if we stay in Discord.

Overall there is more functionality, more connectivity, and Discord seems to offer more ways for our community to unite together and grow.

I encourage you to share your thoughts and your own personal Pros and Cons as major decisions like this impact everyone involved within the community as well as those outside watching our every move.

• Like 2

KodeTen    44

I will always be a fan of Discord. There are many times I want to socialize but I just don't want to talk or split my attention by listening to others, maybe I'm jamming out to some sick tunes, or I'm playing a shooter and need to have my ears cranked up to hear footsteps and triangulate shots.

It's not that I hate y'all, I just got other things I listen to every day.

So that's why you will rarely see me in GameVox. I'm just not going to sit there and miss half a conversation when there are better alternatives for guys like me, plus I can stay up to speed with Discord while I work rather than having to, again, split attention by listening to GVox.

GameVox is great, and I hope it trounces the jiblets out of TeamSpeak and Vent, but for my needs, Discord is the better fit.

That's my ten cents.

• Like 4

My personal thoughts are all positive ones. I can't comment on GameVox as I've not used it, but I've used Discord since it was first launched last year and I love it. It's replaced IRC and my other messaging platforms, and it's nearly replaced TS. 

It works on all platforms, it's flexible and protected (especially now two-factor is implemented - make sure you turn it on!). Audio quality is good, the integration with Youtube and Twitch is amazing (and if you use BetterDiscord you get global emotes).

• Like 4

iamApropos    206
Just now, Walking_Corpse said:

My personal thoughts are all positive ones. I can't comment on GameVox as I've not used it, but I've used Discord since it was first launched last year and I love it. It's replaced IRC and my other messaging platforms, and it's nearly replaced TS. 

It works on all platforms, it's flexible and protected (especially now two-factor is implemented - make sure you turn it on!). Audio quality is good, the integration with Youtube and Twitch is amazing (and if you use BetterDiscord you get global emotes).

Thank you for your reply!
I'm curious if you might be willing to share with us what prevented you from joining us on Gamevox in the past vs you joining us on Discord now?

6 minutes ago, KodeTen said:

I will always be a fan of Discord. There are many times I want to socialize but I just don't want to talk or split my attention by listening to others, maybe I'm jamming out to some sick tunes, or I'm playing a shooter and need to have my ears cranked up to hear footsteps and triangulate shots.

It's not that I hate y'all, I just got other things I listen to every day.

So that's why you will rarely see me in GameVox. I'm just not going to sit there and miss half a conversation when there are better alternatives for guys like me, plus I can stay up to speed with Discord while I work rather than having to, again, split attention by listening to GVox.

GameVox is great, and I hope it trounces the jiblets out of TeamSpeak and Vent, but for my needs, Discord is the better fit.

That's my ten cents.

greatly appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this, thank you!

• Like 2

Iamthesaga    24

I am a relatively new followers of yours and the ATeam. I saw you Tweet about the Discord channel just a day after signing up to it. I have seen people mention the service on Twitter a few times so I checked it out. I have used TeamSpeak a bit and I also own that Android app as well to connect with other AMD Red Team members. I have just gotten back into gaming on PC and I found connecting with fellow friends of the interwebs makes it very enjoyable. Discord seems fantastic as new as it is. Works great on my end and is very customizable to achieve most needs. I haven't used it for voice chatting yet though. I really enjoy connecting with individuals that have similar interests of mine and a majority of them reside in different parts of the USA and even world. Hell, I even make music over the Internet with people. It's great what we have available to us nowadays. I use all sorts of ways to connect with people from SMS text to Google Hangouts to all social media outlets to even the good old phone call. My wife doesn't understand why I communicate with "people I don't know". You can argue that you may never truly know someone but for me, I communicate with people that interest me. Discord achieves that for me with this group. 

Long response and a bit of a ramble but needless to say, I like Discord so far and it seems to help your community be more involved... although I don't know how it was before.

• Like 2

kaaipucca    39

I think the move to discord is a very good move since we can stay connected with all our community members and am sure the ones that enjoy it the most are the ones that are not comfortable speaking but are not shy at typing which makes it something enjoyable for them. I myself have times that I just don't want to talk but don't mind typing and staying connected to the rest of the #AteamGC family, love you nerds!!!

• Like 3

m2hmghb    7

I vastly prefer the layout of gamevox, but they don't have a mobile app which is one of the major problems. I have had issues with Discord in the past including server problems and the whole thin g just going down for me. It doesn't happen too often but it happens a lot more frequently in Discord then in Gamevox. I'll use any VOIP except for TS3, Mumble, or Ventrillo. I hate those three with a passion.

• Like 2

iamApropos    206
1 minute ago, m2hmghb said:

I vastly prefer the layout of gamevox, but they don't have a mobile app which is one of the major problems. I have had issues with Discord in the past including server problems and the whole thin g just going down for me. It doesn't happen too often but it happens a lot more frequently in Discord then in Gamevox. I'll use any VOIP except for TS3, Mumble, or Ventrillo. I hate those three with a passion.

thank you for your reply.  I'm curious if the problems you had with discord in the past have happened since we've been using it in the last 7 days?  
I know when i got this discord server a year ago it had lots of problems but most of those issues have been fixed since.

• Like 1

MrCaptainA    44

I really enjoy Discord as an IRC?ICQ style service and find myself poking my head in at all hours of the day/night (much to the detriment of my sleep pattern). I've not used Discord for voice chat, and as such can't REALLY weigh in on it yet, however I really like the voice setup for Gamevox when folks are streaming. I also find that Discord is less intuitive on the whole, although I'm sure if I spent a few days really getting into the nuts and bolts of it I'd find the functionality just fine.

In the end, I support whatever decision the rest of the the community, and ultimately you @iamApropos make. Maybe I'll grumble a little, maybe I won't, but as long as the community is happy with the end result, who am I to rock the boat.

• Like 3

Crimmy    79

Tried Discord in the Beta days as I was mainly an MMO gamer and it is FANTASTIC for instant chat room need situations. You're playing a game with a bunch of randoms, the game has zero voice support and no one wants to register, download etc etc 3rd party apps. As long as 1 person has access to a Discord server they can provide an instant URL to interested parties and ALL end up in a voice chat together via web browser without downloading a thing. That was a huge deal to me as I often played with "PUGs", but it never caught on and I moved over to better games so back to Vox I went.

Seeing the improvements Discord has provided is a big wow moment. Zero complaints. Whatever helps the community grow, and as long as everyone has their respective "spaces/channels" we all cherish there's no reason to not like it. /$0.02

• Like 3

m2hmghb    7
1 hour ago, iamApropos said:

thank you for your reply.  I'm curious if the problems you had with discord in the past have happened since we've been using it in the last 7 days?  
I know when i got this discord server a year ago it had lots of problems but most of those issues have been fixed since.

No it was within the past 1-2 months on Steve's discord. Before that it was on another discord that I deleted and don't remember which.

• Like 1

RoninLA    8

Ok so I guess I can throw my 2 cents in to the ring. 

Honestly having used both services I honestly like both. Here are a few things about both.

1. Gamevox seems like it can be a little better connection for voice with me, but the voice issue in Discord is so rare an issue its really not that big a deal.

2. Gamevox is the first app I used to communicate with the group on, but there really was no text chatting. 

3. Discord has multiple platforms to connect with which is great.

4. I love how Discord has text chatting. It makes communicating so much easier.

Overall while I like both, I would have to say that from a communication standpoint for the community as a whole Discord seems to have a better offering. 

• Like 1

KGoto    85

Discord, without a question. Like @KodeTen said, I like you guys but sometimes I just want to play my damn game and hear what's going on. I mean I have asked people to shut up because there's a cutscene going on, and it's worked sometimes but honestly I prefer to type. If I get a call or something while in gamevox that requires my attention I used to have to tab over to gamevox, mute myself, mute the channel and then I can talk, sometimes I manage to blurt out BRB but sometimes I don't have time. But now I don't have to do that what so ever. I can just disconnect from voice completely and still be a part of what's going on. 

A lot of people feel comfortable connecting to it because they don't HAVE to be in voice chat. I can be bored to piss at work and come hang out without having to look like I'm not working. It's a much better platform. Hell if I wanted to I can connect to fucking VOICE COMMS WHILE I'M DRIVING AND HANG OUT! (Yeah the quality is that of a standard cellphone voice call but so what? It's like the party line back in the day!) 

I'm also a huge fan of IRC because of how versatile it is. And discord fills that addiction very well. Connecting to multiple servers is like switching a tab in your browser (if you have multiple discords you connect to) and even when you're in another server because of the text chat history you don't miss a thing!

Permissions are done better than gamevox, and you can assign different people different levels of access within a single channel or just go via server defaults. 

The features, (I'm not going to say I'm a pro at this but) the technology behind it, the upgrade path, it's mindbogglingly intuitive. It basically merges so many system and APIs together to the point that it becomes THE ultimate client for hanging out. I know I'm missing a lot here but yeah, that's that. 

Getting my attention (as an admin) is very easy. just type @ and my name and it will not only make a sound but it will also give me a desktop notification. So regardless if I'm in a game or lounging on the couch with my wife, you can get ahold of me. I would like to see a "mentions" history just in case I'm at work or away and someone highlights me but that's a minute issue. 

Cons, it's a little more difficult to connect. The webclient (while it's good) has issues such as PTT and that's a limitation with browsers not with discord. When you join you use the webclient which may cause issues and push members away temporarily, but for text it works just fine. We constantly have to remind new users to download the app to make their move seamless. 

The auto start and needing admin to run in some cases could be a nuisance, I know I hated that with the last client we used before gamevox. But that's a minor nuisance.

@Crimmy in order to stop discord from auto running at startup hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and go to your startup options and disable discord. If you're using an older OS I'm nto completely sure without looking it up, but I know there is a setting in options somewhere.

• Like 1

KodeTen    44
10 minutes ago, KGoto said:

[snip]

@Crimmy in order to stop discord from auto running at startup hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and go to your startup options and disable discord. If you're using an older OS I'm nto completely sure without looking it up, but I know there is a setting in options somewhere.

Just right click the Discord icon in the system tray.

systray.png

• Like 2

Kas Nagant    17

The only reason I rarely got on Gamevox is having to use Comms and I am very much impacted by anxiety to begin with. Discord on the other hand allows to type and keep in touch that way at any time. 

• Like 1

Psych0Gam3r    9

I believe that a move to discord would be a good decision, as I have already see in the discord, there are more people online, and people are more active in the chat. overall, I think it is a better application. Gamevox in alright as a backup in my opinion. 

Edited by Psych0Gam3r

CyberDustin    60

After thinking about this for quite some time now I finally come up with a few pros and cons regarding the move to Discord.

PROS

Everyone can stay connected regardless of their situation, either on desktop or mobile.

CONS

My only con would be I prefer a voice chat.  Personally I prefer to sit and chit chat with people while I'm gaming.  Unfortunately I've noticed most people stick with text-based chat and I get kind of bored with it. Most times voice chat is empty unless someone is streaming and then they're all in that channel.

Overall I like this Discord, don't get me wrong I really like it but I do prefer to chit chat while gaming. 

~Banana

Edited by CyberDustin

iamApropos    206
1 hour ago, CyberDustin said:

After thinking about this for quite some time now I finally come up with a few pros and cons regarding the move to Discord.

PROS

Everyone can stay connected regardless of their situation, either on desktop or mobile.

CONS

My only con would be I prefer a voice chat.  Personally I prefer to sit and chit chat with people while I'm gaming.  Unfortunately I've noticed most people stick with text-based chat and I get kind of bored with it. Most times voice chat is empty unless someone is streaming and then they're all in that channel.

Overall I like this Discord, don't get me wrong I really like it but I do prefer to chit chat while gaming. 

~Banana

Thanks for your feedback bud!

Completely agree with the chit chat though the only thing different is, I believe you are noticing those of us able to connect to mobile typing more so because we weren't able to be on gamevox before so it wasn't seen and now discord is flooded with us being able to connect to text chat but unable to voice chat.

I too prefer voice chat but with my current health right now I must rely on text chat.

I recall that the last couple weeks before discord people were complaining that Gamevox was empty which somewhat seems to have transfered onto discord.

Easy fix is to have people start getting use to using voice channels when gaming not just general hangouts but a specific game voice chat and if one isn't available an admin will be more than willing to make it. 

• Like 1