ATeam Gaming Community
iamApropos

What is the Ateam Gaming Community to you?

iamApropos    206

Whats Up Y'all!!?

Instead of me going on and on about how awesome I think the Ateam Gaming Community aka AteamGC is this thread is to let the members of this community tell everyone what this community means to them, their story of joining the community and how being part of this community has impacted their lives.

Now That's What's Up!!! ~ Paul

• Like 4

Iamthesaga    24

What the ATeamGC means to me? Well, it means a lot to put it simply. I came across the community first on Twitter seeing the hash tag on random posts. I didn't think anything of it as it was Twitter and that just happened there. One day not too long ago, I saw Paul post a link to the new Discord server. I just had signed up for it so I thought I would look into it. Here I found a group of people from all over the globe. Some related. Some friends. All were a. Family though. The way each of them interacted with one another showed history even though they may have never met face to face. This seemed like something I can be a part of. I joined right on in to conversations about topics that were of the same interest's as mine. I don't get to do this very often at all from home or in a face to face manner as I don't live or work directly with people of similar interests. The ATGC took me in as one of their own. Almost immediately they showed their generosity and willingness to help wherever they can. It is so great to see this here and hopefully I can reciprocate it in the future where I can. I love talking with everyone here as often as I can. Discord really is a huge help to that matter. My wife constantly tells me "Who do you keep taking to on your phone all the time?" When I tell her about 30 different people at a given time, she doesn't truly understand. 

Needless to say, I really enjoy being here and for all that the members do to support one another. I hope to get into some possible streaming in the future once I get it all situated and I know the ATeam Gaming Community will be there to help along he way. 

KAPOW

Frank "The Saga" Arena

• Like 5

AdamAnt81    51

It isn't a stretch to say that the AteamGC has saved my life.  here's a little of my back history...  I lost a son in 2008 at 4 months old for still unknown reasons.  which put me in a downward spiral in to depression.  then in 2014 I when to the hospital with chest pains only to find out that it was caused by a tumor the size of a softball in the middle of my back.  Because of the tumor I had quit my job.  Not being able to work I felt worthless because I could no longer help provide for my family....Depression got worse.  I had the Tumor removed in feb of 2015. And a couple months later I discovered Paul on an episode of TechTalk with Jay and Jerry.  I thought this guy seems cool so I looked him up ( not hard he propos on every thing).   After hearing Paul's story and the health issues he deals with and is still such a wonder happy person it made me take a look at everything I still have and has done wonders for my depression.   Also if it wasn't for the AteamGC and one member particularly I would not be able to Join in on the fun and game with you guys because I could never afford the awesome system on my own.  Just want say I truly Love the AteamGC and each one of its members! 

Sorry for the sob story and bad grammar 

• Like 5

NickThaNerd    6

I really enjoy the fact that there is a strong group of like-minded gamers here and I am glad to be a part of it. I first saw Paul on Tech Talk, just like @AdamAnt81, decided to drop in on a Twitch stream, got ABOMBed by all in chat and I haven't looked back. The experience only grew with the Discord App; seeing the level of interaction among the group is amazing!

• Like 6

Man, I've been part of the ATEAM for ages now. Somewhere around 3 years now. Little bit of a backstory. I have never had many friends or people I can talk to IRL. Usually my free time would be spent browsing the internet or trying to find interesting games to play, mostly single-player because I couldn't stand the people that would play multiplayer games. One day I got tired of my crap laptop, and decided that I wanted to build a PC myself. I saw a channel by the name of Jayztwocents had very interesting PC builds, so I subscribed. A few days later, I got a notification that he was live, doing Tech Talk, with Paul. That show was one of the only times I've laughed so hard that I nearly pissed myself. The humor and the general amazing-ness that emanated from Paul was something else, so I subscribed to him. When I followed him on Twitch, I got nuked to all hell by the comparably small community he had around him then. It was the best damn welcome anyone has ever given me. The ATEAM feels more like home than any place I have been. Thank you.

TL;DR I have no friends ;)

96c9cc037e770e5c666595e42888a8900802be72_full.jpg

• Like 6

Crimmy    79

I was once a social butterfly of sorts. Most of you have seen that side of me now. I like cracking jokes, poking fun, having a laugh, singing songs and making toasts. Most of that was buried by 1000 pound walls of bullshit a long time ago. Newlywed, followed by fifty-four months on and off of warzones....it changes you. Old me was buried. And it stayed buried for a long, long time. I found solace in doing what I've done since the early 80's...escaping all the bullshit and anxiety by living vicariously through characters in video games. My wife suffered. My kids suffered. My family suffered. And I never cared. As long as I was in my happy space eventually, safely behind a keyboard or controller lost in my world of getting loots and shooting people in the face.

That was my escape, all alone with the few I considered friends in a game I was obsessed with. Years went by of said friends bailing on games to go attend to streams or events I cared very little to attend. And then Paul brought the stream to me, in my game. Line in the sand didn't just get crossed, it got erased. Buried in tears of joy, aching abs from the laughing fits of the night before with memories and jokes only we who experienced would ever understand.

I learned that it's ok to knock down a few walls, open myself up to random nerds who share the same passion I have. Getting loots and shooting people in faces. In doing so, it directly affected my family. Suddenly I was more willing to do things I fucking hated doing before. Being around people....pffft. It still sucks a bit, but nowhere near as much as it did before. This community helped me get back to me in more ways than you nerds will ever understand.

Three or four years ago I would have pulled a gun on you for trying to livestream me. Now I'm a streamer. Take that for what it's worth. This ride has been more therapeutic for me personally than any prescribed nonsense I've attempted in the past eight years. As some have seen, I'll defend this community like my own blood. There's a reason for that. I'm not here for the viewers, the donations, the followers. I know why I'm here. And now so do you. Fuckin nerds. :P

Edited by Crimmy
  • Like 5

KGoto    85

I used to be a forum crawler over at fpsbanana, had a good few friends, met some cool people but it kinda died for me. Being pretty much depressed most of the time to the point that I don't want to play games or anything. So I got into their IRC but that died. So fast forward a bit, I started watching youtube, saw paul on tech talk and seeing him kinda felt like I found a friend instantly. Kinda like the "love at first sight" feeling but minus the whole "I'ma spoon with you with my rod later". So I came in and followed and bam! I was hooked, literally getting welcomed by KAPOW ABOMB KAPOW was amazingly special and that's what kept me coming back at that point. It was fun, it was funny and it made me feel like I'm welcome. Then I started hanging out more, doing voice stuff, hell I even bought my wife and I good microphones just to hang out. One thing led to another and I was asked to be a mod. And then it snowballed from there.

Fast forward to today and not only does it feel like I made some awesome friends but I found my calling. I have workmates that I deal with at work, but they aren't really friends. I have a few people that are friends in real life but they've pretty much fallen off the face of the earth. So I'm left with nobody, and being antisocial I can't just go outside and make more friends. So here's where the GC comes in. I had nothing, and nobody but my wife's side of the family. And now I've got all of you. While I may be direct and because of being an admin I may have gotten on your case about something, it's because I didn't take this position for just having power. I took it so I can help maintain the peace and help make this community better. So hopefully when people get called out by me they understand it's not because I'm power tripping, but it's because I don't want to see them go and miss out.

This community means a lot to me. And I will do every damn thing I can to make it better and make it grow. 

I wrote that the same day the thread was created, here's some new things I can add:

Being with the ateam sort of gives me a purpose. Yeah I may not game much, and when I do I'm crap at it, but that's not what I feel like I'm here for. I'm here for support. I'm here to help and answer questions, help moderate streams, help admin the voice servers and website. It's a lot of responsibility, but you know what? For me I don't deserve this awesome community without giving back in one of the only way I know how to. I like doing the support role, even if it means not gaming, because in the end, I can come home and get online and always be amused and entertained and always have someone to talk to about whatever randomness I can think of at that time.

Hopefully that all makes sense grammatically and all, it's really late at night and I've had quite a few drinks. </rambling>

• Like 6

BTOptimizer    15

The ATeam gaming community is like another family to me. There are so many of us from different backgrounds and ways of life. Sure, some of us can get a little out of hand with weird jokes and what not, but that's what is known as "the spice of life." I have met so many different people here. I was introduced to the ATeam by my father talking about it to my brother and I, which sparked me to want to join and meet you all. I'm glad I did because just recently graduated high school my whole group of friends has partially dispersed to many areas of life so I'm left feeling kind of empty and alone but with you guys I can feel whole again. You all inspire me to stream some day and follow my dreams of contributing to gaming reviews and other things. You all mean so much to me, so if you ever stream and you see me in the chat, expect to hear me get the audience hyped and say social media links for you when mentioned. I will also do my best to request songs if you have it enabled on Nightbot. I will do whatever I can to help you guys during your streams to show you how much you have helped me and my family find a wonderful community.

To the ATeam and all the great times to come,
KAPOW ABOMB KAPOW - BTOptimizer (Bethany)

• Like 6

Deken112    62

As most of you know i don't say much in game or in chat,so this is difficult for me.

Why did i join the A-teamGC. The simple answer is i saw Paul on techtalk and decided to follow him but that is only why i joined.Now why did i stay,First off a little back story on me,as with a lot of people in the community i am disabled and a little broken,I do not get out much as walking around the block leaves me in massive pain,so i got lost in Gaming to cope with the pain.I was at a point before the A-team that Gaming was getting boring so the pain was coming on strong and hard,then i watched Paul a few times and i noticed that the pain was subsiding as i could take my mind off it and concentrate on something else,I have never laughed so hard and it felt good to not be in so much pain,so i started to regularly watch Paul's stream and join in playing games with the community and realized what a great bunch of people that was gathered here,yes even you KGoto. I soon realized that i had found a community online that actually cared about each other,not just in gaming but in there lives as well. 

I was given inspiration to keep going and not give up,i even made a Twitch channel hoping to broadcast but my Potato wasn't up to the task there to many programs running but on Beam it would work so i created my channel and even broadcast now and then,I was even inspired to mod my rig even if it only a paint job,sure i still have bad days,more than not but now and then i can break out of it because of you guys and gals of the A-team that keep me focused.

I try to support who ever is streaming even if it is just watching the stream or just doing song requests.I am slowly coming out of my shell,who knows what the future may hold.

I just want to thank all the members for giving somewhere i can call home and a new lease on life in general.

• Like 4

MrCaptainA    44

So after putting this off for a while now, I figured it was time I pulled my finger out and actually got to writing. (As my litle brother once told me, "procrastination is like masturbation - you only end up f**king yourself")

Well I first saw Paul on a random episode of TechTalk, I forget which episode, but that information is largely irrelevant. He was still a member of RTP, and I was drawn in by the positive attitude and open policy to have folks join him when he games. I'd been a part of other gaming communities before, but not like this... not like this (apologies for bad Matrix reference). I was basically at the end of my MMO period and looking for other things to occupy my time (anyone that's played an MMO for extended an period knows what I mean). I still wanted to game with people, but was looking for something more casual because Raiding is basically a full time job that eats your free time like I eat junk food. (I didn't get this figure at a gym, that's for sure).

..... then Battlefield Fridays started to happen, and I was hooked. Some of you probably remember how absolutely atrocious I was (possibly still am) at BF4, but I didn't care, I was having a laugh with new friends, making connections, and able to be myself without the constant shadow of my Depression and Anxiety looming over my head. I'd largely accepted the fact that I was a digital entity, but as such I could be anyone, do anything, and say whatever I felt without fear of reprisal, and I NEEDED that in order to become comfortable with myself and rediscover who I even was. To those that don't know, I had almost died from a self destructive cycle of drug abuse that was fuelled by my severely diminished self worth and feeling of absolute helplessness in my own life. I felt like I was a lost cause, I felt alone, and I felt like nothing could break me out of the prison that was my own mind.

Fast forward a few years and today I'm nowhere near as active in the community as I used to be, but I'll never forget that it was the ATeam Gaming Community and everyone in it that helped me crush the despair that had all but consumed my life. I go out way more, I'm reconnecting with friends that I haven't spoken to in years, and I'd like to think that I finally know who I really am. I may not be around all the time (although I try to say hello in Discord at least once a day), and you may not even see me when you're streaming (sometimes I log in as anonymous so I can simply enjoy the show), but know that you're all family to me, and whether you realise it or not, you probably helped to save my life.

Community is more than just a few folks jumping online and blowing shit up, it's a family, and the longer you're in it, the more you realise just how important they are.

• Like 2